Jan 14, 2009

Creme de La Mer Moisturizing Cream

Creme de La Mer was developed by a NASA scientist, Max Huber, after he was burned during an experiment, so goes the story behind one of the most famous and expensive skin care products. Bought by Estee Lauder in 1995, Creme de La Mer has changed little, if any, since it was first introduced. Estee Lauder has added numerous products to the line which now includes serums, toners, cleansers and other moisturizers. The "Miracle Broth" it contains is supposed to be the secret of it's ability but some may beg to differ. Seaweed extract is not exactly a rare ingredient but La Mer says it is how the ingredients are fermented that makes the difference.

I used Creme de La Mer a few times over the years but not for long periods. I'm not sure what to think of it. I've read other blogs mention that it is very similar to Nivea but I don't know as I've not used it.

La Mer is a very thick, dense, greasy product that must first be warmed between the finger tips and then patted onto the skin. I find that it works just as well for me if I apply it like a "normal" moisturizer and apply it straight from the jar.

The scent is actually quite pleasant in my opinion. The scent sort of reminds me of soap but not in a bad way. It is a light scent that does not overpower and I feel is gender neutral.

No matter how little I use, Creme de La Mer just doesn't absorb, it sits there until I wipe it off. I don't know how well it works if it doesn't even absorb. Hours after application my face remains greasy. I have used it as a moisturizing face mask and find that it leaves my skin feeling soft.

The ingredients list is interesting because it does appear to contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. However, the second ingredient is mineral oil, and it contains quite a bit of lanolin, both of which cause me breakouts.

The past few days I have used it under my eyes as an eye cream and it does seem to moisturize pretty well, but it is so heavy and greasy on my skin. I also just can't justify the cost for this product. La Mer has some newer moisturizers that are probably better suited to younger skin or those who are acne prone.

This is a product that people either really love or don't. Some feel it transforms their skin. I am on the fence about this one. It is outrageously expensive when you consider it contains large amounts of mineral oil. The jar packaging is not ideal because antioxidants exposed to air lose their potency. It may be a wonder cream but for the cost, the jar packaging, the mineral oil, the lack of sunscreen and the fact that it doesn't absorb, I am not inclined to purchase.

Creme de La Mer Moisturizing Cream is available at many of the high end department stores or from the La Mer website. The 1 ounce jar retails for $130.00.

Ingredients: Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral oil, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesame Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesame Seed, Medicago sativa (alfalfa) seed powder, Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus amygdulus dulcis (sweet almond) seed meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl succinate, Niacin, Beta-carotene, Decyl oleate, Aluminium distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment