Jan 28, 2009

Lancome Paris High Resolution Refill - 3X SPF 15

Lancome Paris is the luxury skin care and make-up division of Loreal which also owns, among others, Maybelline and Biotherm. Loreal sells their mass market products at drug and grocery stores while Lancome sells and markets their products through high end department stores.

Lancome seems to frequently revamp their products. New to the market is Lancome Paris High Resolution Refill - 3X SPF 15, a triple action anti-wrinkle cream that is lightly fragranced and smells like most of the other Lancome creams I have tried. It is a light, clean scent but it does linger. It is not overly strong or offensive, however. The cream is very lush and feels rich but absorbs remarkably well. This cream "balled" up if I rubbed my face which I have noticed with other silicone based creams that contain talc.

The ingredients list indicates that it contains numerous forms of silicon. In addition, it contains mineral oil which is something I didn't expect from a modern formula. Silicone and mineral oil, I have read, can cause some people to breakout. This has been my experience with products containing those ingredients.

I developed small breakouts on my forehead after using this cream once. I cannot say whether it was from this product, but it does contains Mineral Oil, Silicone, Nylon-66 and Talc and the breakouts developed within hours of application. This would lead me to suggest this product is better suited to drier, more mature skin types or those who are not prone to breakouts. Some days it seems that everything causes me to breakout so I tend to be careful what I apply to my skin.

Alfalfa, Rice Protein and Sodium Hyaluronate are the ingredients de jour. There are no peptides in this cream although the matching eye cream contains two peptides. This formula doesn't appear to be as high tech when compared to products by other manufacturers such as Estee Lauder. For the cost, I would expect something cutting edge, one of a kind. Creme de La Mer, which has been around for ages, contains Alfalfa, and numerous other products contain Rice Protein and Sodium Hyaluronate. Many products contain similar ingredients and sell for far less including products by Lancome's owner Loreal.
Available in a 1.7 ounce jar this cream sells for $75.00. The 0.50 ounce eye cream is $55.00.

Ingredients: Ensulizone 1.8%, Octinoxate 7.5%

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cylopentasiloxane, Mineral Oil, Amonium Polyacryloyldimethyl Taurate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Cetyl Alcohol, Triethanolamine, Methylsilanol/Silicate Crosspolymer, Tocopherol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Medicago Satva (Alphalfa) Extract, Hydrolized Rice Protein, Acetyl Trfluoromethylphenyl Valylglycine, Adenosine, PEF-8 Isostearate, Polygylceryl-3 Methylglucose Distearate, Poly C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate, Nylon-66, Talc, Silica Mimethyl Silylate, Dimethiconol, Limonene, Xanthan Gum, Maganese Gluconate, Linalool, Cholesterol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Acrylates Copolymer, Sorbitan Palmitate, Geraniol, Disodium Stearoyl Glutmate, Disodium EDTA, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Coumarin, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Fragrance.

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 11, 2010

    I have used this product and to be honest I don't see the difference between this product and other cheaper drugstore products. Maybe other people do see the difference. I am 55 and have very few wrinkles and already have very nice translucent skin for my age and have always been told I look 10-15 years younger than my stated age. I feel skin care is part moisturizer but also diet, drinking alot of water and exercise. I think all these things make a difference in one's skin appearance. Also staying out of the sun is another thing.
    I don't believe a moisturizer is going to help someone with sun damaged skin very much. Their skin is already ruined. I also think genetics plays a part as well. so, I believe good skin is a result of alot of factors not just a moisturizer. Sorry, if I couldn't tell you what you want to here, but it is hard for me to judge if a product is really working because my skin is good to begin with. The only difference i see in people's skin is if they have has plastic surgery but that doesn't make them look younger just artificial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Thank you for reading.

    While it is true that a face cream can only do so much, many face creams, serums, and lotions, contain ingredients called peptides that tell the skin to produce more collagen. This can make the skin look more plump. In addition, most moisturizers have ingredients called humectants that help draw moisture into the skin, this too can make the skin look plumper, less dry, and help in reducing the appearance of lines and wrinkles. Some believe that peptides help firm the skin because they plump up the skin.

    Genetics, sun exposure, and what we eat make a huge difference in the appearance of our skin. Gentle cleansing and moisturizing can make our skin look and feel much younger.

    Many people get drawn into advertising hype. As new ingredients are discovered companies will market new products with them. Many times these products are expensive, but overall, no better than a less expensive product.

    For me it all comes down to what works for my particular skin type. There are certain products that I have found work better for me than others so they are what I purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I've recently used this product along with the eye cream and the only result is breakouts. I've tried to stop/start using it a couple of times to make sure of the cause. Each time I have acne within a day of using it and clears up in 2-3 days once I stop using it. Genefique has the same result though my skin also looks better.
    Looks like expensive creams don't agree with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what the ingredient in the cream caused this, but I got contact dermatitis everywhere I put the cream! Are you guys sure it was not acne, and contact dermatitis? I have never had acne in my life, and it was painful, itchy, and I even had tiny blisters!!! Never using this cream again!!!

    ReplyDelete