Feb 11, 2009

Ingredient Spotlight: Mastic Oil

I recently had the opportunity to try a line of skin care products containing Mastic Oil. According to Wikipedia, Mastic is an evergreen shrub or small tree of the Pistachio family growing up to 4 m tall which is cultivated for its aromatic resin, mainly on the Greek island of Chios.

According to the product literature Mastic has been scientifically proven to have strong anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. The list goes on about what all Mastic can do for the skin and hair, everything from anti-aging to superior cleansing.

The first thing I noticed upon using the facial moisturizer containing Mastic was the scent, a very strong, herbal scent that didn't dissipate. Hours later the scent remained quite strong. The scent wasn't offensive but also not inviting.

I also felt that the products were quite heavy in texture and sat on the skin more than they absorbed. This, however, was a function of this particular brand of products and not necessarily because the product contained Mastic.

While I like trying new products, especially those considered natural, this didn't work for me. The scent was too overwhelming for my liking. Perhaps another brand would work better for me.

If you don't mind herbal scented products; finding something with Mastic oil may work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment